Heritage Windows - Genuinely traditional or in name only?
Wednesday, February 05th , 2020
Many refer to Heritage windows when in fact there is no definition for a heritage window; so it is very easy to make such a claim without substantiation. Historic England does refer to traditional windows that are suitable for Heritage Assets. To be suitable for installation in a Conservation Area, a replacement window would be scrutinised by a planning officer to ensure that its appearance is a good visual match to the timber original. Under such circumstances, an inferior window would not pass the test.
However, new build projects that follow a traditional design, or home owners with period style homes that have permitted development rights, would not have to submit to the same scrutiny. A window could therefore be supplied that, although appearing traditional to the untrained eye, is in fact lacking in some essential traditional features. The price would of course reflect that the features had been engineered out of the product, so this could be attractive to some, although lacking in true value.
Besides looking beautiful, slim and stylish, what do you deserve to receive in a truly traditional yet low maintenance sash window crafted by professionals?
- Slim sightlines through both the upper and lower sashes to maximise the visible glass area
- Equal panes in both sashes to create a balanced appearance consistent with original timber sash windows
- Exclusive putty line appearance
- Chamfered Georgian bars externally and ovolo internally to match originals
- Foiled woodgrain finish
- Continuous hand finished waxed horns
- Patented Timberweld® wood effect ‘butt jointed’ corners that are perfectly sealed
- Bonded Georgian bars, precision cut inside and out for a three dimensional character with a patented clip system to permanently secure the bars in place
- Deep bottom rail sympathetic to original designs
- Integral mullion for multi-light windows to reduce sightlines from 153mm to 99mm and to match original timber detail
- Super slim 39 mm meeting rail
- Deep 55mm cill an original timber feature
- Bespoke, stylish cam catches in a range of colours and styles to match traditional design
On top of all the above, you also deserve to have your windows come with an A rating for energy efficiency, a Secured by Design accreditation for security and a very rare BBA accreditation for longevity and performance, added benefits that are missing from most offerings.
Carol Slade, Managing Director for Masterframe Windows, manufacturers of the Bygone Collection says “We have seen an increase in demand for traditional sash windows with both homeowners and developers returning to a much loved style. It is important that we continue to deliver products that are as true to original as possible. We never cut corners and respect all the original features so that customers get the true benefit of fully enjoying a window design that has become an important part of our heritage.”
Read more about the features and benefits of Bygone Collection sash windows by downloading our brochure here.
Learn why you get better windows because of these
Request a Quotation
Would you like to see a sample, discuss your requirements and options, or obtain an assessment of the costs for your project?
If you would like a copy of our brochure please click the download button at the bottom of this page.